Sunday 30 October 2011

Food Truck- Gorilla Cheese


Food trucks seem to be the food trend of 2011! So when I saw Gorilla Cheese parked in yonge and dundas square for a public kareoke event, I had to give a truck a try!

There were a couple of menu items- including a grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich, bacon maple grilled cheese sandwich and others ranging from 5-7$. And then they offered homemade tomato soup that was about 2$.





I went with the original on multi-grain which used Aged Ontario Cheddar - which came up to $5.50. It was super grease-y but it was fully loaded with gooey cheddar and it came with a sliver of a dill pickle. Taste-wise - it tasted like something I could make myself, nothing special. The cheese wasn't especially sharp, and was a little too grilled (dare I say burnt) - and a bit too grease-y for my liking due to the amount of cheese in the sandwich. It did the job and satisfied my hunger at the time.

Maybe if I chose a more gourmet sandwich with additional toppings - or different cheeses I might have enjoyed it more, but I wanted to try their claim to fame! And5 dollars for a basic grilled cheese was a little steep (It is just bread butter and cheese, mind you). And there was no offer of the most important condiment of all for grilled cheeses - KETCHUP! I think they would benefit if they made homemade ketchup or at least offer ketchup for their sandwiches. Overall rating: 2/5 - i had to deduct 0.5 for the lack of ketchup!

No comments:

Post a Comment